Thursday, May 13, 2010

Golden Hills Community Garden

Golden Hills Community Garden
What is your name?
My name is Lorna
When did you first start coming here?
A neighbor brought me here when I first moved to the hills (golden hills)
Do you garden at home?
I live right down the street so I just come here
What would be your advice to give to others?
If you like gardening and don't have space this is a great way to do it.

  1. What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?

The Community Garden I visited was very different than I expected. I expected something small in the middle of an urban area because Golden Hills is very urbanized. Instead what I found was a small hidden garden next to Golden Hills park. It was very cute, secluded and calming. I would love to come back and start my own little garden there if not at home.

  1. Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive?

NA

  1. Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?

I would love to become apart of this community garden, not only for sustainable reasons but because of the energy it contained. It seems like a good place to get away and zen out as you garden or even just write next to the flower beds. The soil also seems to be very hearty there and would produce great herbs and such to cook with.

  1. How do these locations fit into our essential questions of “Why Don’t People Live More Sustainably?” and “How Can I Convince them to do So?”
I think people often associate the terms sustainable living with difficult, but in all honesty it's so easy to live a more conscious lifestyle through places like Community Gardens, C.S.A.'s and Farmer's Markets. In my case, there are multiple opportunities within a mile radius of my house to live a more sustainable life style, and after looking up the locations closest to people in my group I found that I was not the only one this applied to. If people just took a few minutes to find a garden, market, or C.S.A. close to them we could all start living a more sustainable lifestyle.

4 comments:

Vincent Supertramp said...

I enjoy how you said that it's not that hard to live sustainably. The truth is that it's only perceived as hard because it goes against the way of life we we're raised in. It's not hard at all, it's just against our culture.
It struck me that you actually found a very tranquil area in an urbanized area.
It's really cool that your considering taking a part of it, in contrast to how everyone says that they should spread the word.

araceli said...

I like the way you express you questions to people and the way you gave us a lot of information. I think people would like to go more often to there farmers market. I like the way you you were on task in your work good job. :)

Jovan said...

The thing I liked about your post was that you were able to get such cool fonts. I could read all of the text clearly, and you had cool bullet points to show where the questions were.

It was interesting how you visited a garden. Most of the people that I've posted comments to went to a Market. It was a nice change.

Nice job, and I hope to be able to see more of your stuff in the future. By the way, nice job on your presentation. It was cool how you had songs for every chapter.

Marcos Ramirez said...

When you said, " If people just took a few minutes to find a garden, market, or C.S.A. close to them we could all start living a more sustainable lifestyle." It made me think of how thats so true and how people should look around and maybe they well end up enjoying it or starting something big.

Also i like how you used bigger fonts for the questions and you reflections and the flowers were a great addition

And it was pretty cool you didn't go for a farmers market but something more peaceful :)