Sunday, April 25, 2010

Talking It Out


When we looked at all those charts of which large companies own which organic foods companies I was extremely surprised. It made me so mad to think that when I thought I was buying Naked juice I was actually buying Coca-Cola. It's so frustrating to me because it really shows that it's only a few major corporations that run the food industry. There are almost no independent labels anymore.

I agree with everything that has been talked about in Food Inc. and My Ishmael. I believe that the lifestyle we are living is not exactly right and I also think that the way the food industry is run is horrible. I can't believe how badly they treat the people that work at these places, or how our government treats them. They arrest the people that come here to do an honest day's work, but they don't arrest the people who are responsible for bringing them there. It's so horrible! Immigrants are treated like something illegally imported instead of people.

In order to make a difference I think it's important to buy local and live a more sustainable lifestyle. However, in regards to Ishmael I have no idea what to do. I know he said that we need to educate people about everything, and I agree with that. But I feel like it shouldn't be as simple as that. With the food industry there are not simple answers to getting rid of everything. But with the problem of saving the world, there is an even simpler answer. It makes me mad.

My family thinks that the people of our civilization need to make a more conscious effort when it comes to food to eat more sustainably. In fact my dad has recently become Vegan and buys all local foods whenever it's financially possible. He feels very strongly that there needs to be a big change in the food industry and I think that since he has a large voice in the community here in San Diego, especially in the restaurant business he could make a difference here.

1 comment:

bianca said...

I agree with everything you said. I also found it shocking how some companies that we think are health are really being owed by unhealthy companies like coca-cola and pepsi. I also agree with how you said that whats going on isnt right and how the workers and animals are being treated horribly. Its shocking to know that the meat and foods we eat are dangerous and really unhealthy and in some cases have caused death.