Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Time Travellers Pillar Reflection

Project Description:

After writing the papers about our pillars in our civilizations, we had to create a painting on a portion of a pillar in our 9th grade commons of something having to do with our pillar. Because my pillar was government and society, I decided to paint an enlarged version of the Athenian Owl coin.

Process:

Before painting the Athenian Owl on the pillar, I drew it in pencil on a piece of paper about the same size as the space on the pillar. When I was satisfied with my drawing I showed it to Charlotte and once it was approved, began to sketch it lightly in pencil on the pillar. My initial design was too small so I had to re-sketch it on the pillar. Once both I, and my teachers were satisfied I began to paint the main details and background. Then I added the smaller details to it to make it more my own. I really like to personalize my art, so while it still looks like a traditional coin, I still wanted to add more details to show the depth of the coin. I did this using different shades of the color. I then created a box for the title in pencil using a ruler so the the letters would be about the same size and on a straight line before sketching out the letters and painting them onto the pillar.

Reflection:

I learned a lot about how important drafting is to art. If I had just started painting the owl instead of doing a rough draft on a separate piece of paper, and then sketching it in pencil on the pillar before painting I probably wouldn’t have been satisfied with my painting and would have made a lot of mistakes. The title would have also been more crooked and uneven in size if I hadn’t used a ruler to size it the right way. This drafting and revision, as well as small steps I took helped me to learn to create better art.

I had a bit of trouble when I added my name to the painting. I accidentally smudged it and had to go back over with gold paint and then re-do it. This left me a little stressed for time in the end.

Next time I paint I would do everything the same because I think my painting came out really good. If I apply the same careful thinking and precision to the rest of my work too I am sure all my projects will turn out better.

No comments: